Ever find yourself wondering "why" when it comes to your health? Why did I develop this problem? Why do I feel this way? A clear distinction between conventional approaches and functional medicine is that very question, "why?".
Functional medicine is a medical approach to address the underlying cause of disease -- the why. Often this involves deeper investigation and treatments that focus on optimal functioning of the body and its organs.
Functional Medicine is based on these Principles:
- Every person is genetically and biochemically unique. Personalized health care and functional medicine treat the individual, not the disease.
- Everything is connected. There is a complex and unique interaction between the gastrointestinal, endocrine, and immune systems, as well as the environment. A medical condition affecting one system may be stemming from somewhere yet, unnoticed.
- Functional medicine is deeply science-based. It involves staying current on the most up-to-date and cutting edge approaches to ensure that you are receiving the best care.
- Your body has the capacity to heal and self-regulate. Disease is an imbalance of this process and treatment is aimed to restore your own ability to heal.
- Health is not just the absence of disease, but a state of immense vitality.
You don't have to have a disease to benefit from functional medicine, simply a desire for vibrant health.