So, you caught that “cold” that’s going around? Great! Now, what can you do to get yourself feeling better, faster?
It’s that season again, and it seems like everyone around you is sick doesn't it? You walk through the hallway avoiding anyone who’s coughing, and ducking out of the way of peoples incessant sneezing. However, no matter how careful you've been, you’re still sick! It feels like there’s nothing you can do. Well fear not, you may be sick now, but there are lots of things you can do to get yourself feeling better faster!
- Drink lots of water: you've heard it all before, but it’s even more important when you’re sick. Part of the goal is getting your body to flush out whatever is making you sick, and you can’t do that without drinking LOTS of water.
- Make a cup of tea: boil some water, add some lemon, a little honey and a dash of cinnamon. The heat of the water mixed with the "diaphoretic" action of the ingredients will cause your body to sweat out anything that’s bothering you ("diaphoretic" = inducing sweat). The hot water will also help to break up some congestion you might be experiencing.
- Skip the dairy: regular dairy encourages mucus production and is just adding to the congestion you are already experiencing. Avoiding dairy until your better will help with congestion, and allow your immune system to focus on what’s really troubling you. This will shorten the length of your cold, and just make you feel much better!
- Skip the decongestant: your body is trying to get rid of offending agents through your secretions, making you better. By taking a decongestant you are suppressing one of the main mechanisms your body has to get rid of your infection. Let your body work its magic, and your cold will be shorter and lighter than those around you. Unless you have a medical condition that requires decongestant use (check with your doctor), then avoid it!
- Get lots of rest: give your body time to fight off whatever is making you sick and get back on track. The more you respect your body, and give it the time it needs, the faster you will be yourself again!